CV: Norman Borden
Solo exhibitions at Soho Photo Gallery, NYC
2018 "Habana Si"
2017 "Out of the Norm"
2014 "Subway Sightings"
2012 “Thank You For Smoking"
2001 "Energy = Times Square"
July/August: “No Diving” and “The Eclipse” selected for Brooklyn Waterfront Artists Coalition’s juried exhibition “The Art of Coney Island.”
July/August : “Pink” and “No Diving” selected for Griffin Museum of Photography’s “Splash” exhibition in Boston.
August/Sept: "Immigrant" and "George Floyd Protest" in curated social justice group show at Soho Photo.
- “Juneteenth Protester” selected for ICP Group show, #ICP Concerned: Global Images for Global Crisis;
- “Boardwalk Flight’’ selected by YourDailyPhotograph.com
- The Photo Review: The Elder, Havana, in juried online competition
- "My Covid Walks," Dec 11-Jan 11 2021 online exhibition, SohoPhoto.com
- The Photo Review: "No Diving" was selected by juror Sarah Meister, Photography Curator, MoMa, for inclusion in 2018 Competition issue.
- Center for Fine Art Photography Fort Collins, CO: Juror Jean Dykstra selected "No Diving" for inclusion in "Wonder" exhibition and for projection during Denver's month of photography, March 2019.
- Miami Street Photography Festival: “Long Island City” was selected by panel of jurors as a finalist in the Festival’s 2016 competition, on view at the HistoryMiami Museum, Nov 2016 – Jan 2017.
- The Curated Fridge: Juror Aline Smithson chose “Los Angeles” for inclusion in Fridge’s special Photoville exhibition..
- The Griffin Museum of Photography: Juror Elizabeth Avedon selected “Time” to be included in the museum’s 22nd annual Juried Exhibition, July – August , in Winchester, MA.
- The Curated Fridge: Jurors Matthew Gamber and Greer Muldowney selected “Long Island City” to be in the May/June Curated Fridge show.
- New York Transit Museum, Brooklyn, NY – “Boardwalk Flight #1” selected to be in “Five Cents to Dreamland: A Trip to Coney Island” exhibition, July – December 2016.
- Featureshoot.com: “Through the Nose, which was shot in Coney Island, was one of 27 images selected by juror Gabriel H. Sanchez, Photo Essay Editor of Buzzfeed, to best illustrate the theme: “Off The Wall.”
- Valentine Museum of Art, Brooklyn, New York: "Coney island" group exhibition, November 2015 – March 2016. Six images selected to be in group show featuring contemporary Coney island themed work.
- New Orleans Photo Alliance Gallery; “Amazement“ selected by juror Aline Smithson for "Masquerade” group show.
- Darkroom Gallery, Essex Junction, Vermont. "Trio" selected for "Juxtapose" group show. Juror: Kyohei Abe
- Darkroom Gallery, Essex Junction, Vermont. "Rail" and "The Bowery" selected for "Hue" group show. Juror: Al Satterwhite
- Juror Stella Kramer awarded "Baby Face" Honorable Mention and also chose "No Diving" for "Impromptu" group show at the Darkroom Gallery.
- Featureshoot.com: Juror Jesse Wender, Photo Editor of National Geographic, selected "No Diving" as one of 30 images depicting weird and wonderful world of Coney Island.
- The Photo Review: "Williamsburg, Brooklyn" from my Thank You For Smoking series, was chosen by Juror Jennifer Blessing, Curator of Photography at the Guggenheim Museum, for inclusion in 2014 Competition print and online issue.
- Photoville 2014, Brooklyn Bridge Park: "New York Morning" was chosen for Soho Photo's "Picturing the Built Environment"
Soho Photo Gallery: Fugitivart Exhibition, "No Diving" selected for inclusion, Sept. 2013
Museum of the City of New York: "Coney Island Boardwalk" selected for Rising Waters 2.0 exhibition about Superstorm Sandy
2007 Upstream Gallery, Dobbs Ferry, NY: "Times Square" series, Juried group show.
2013: Soho Photo Gallery: Third Place, Juried Members' Competition, "Time": Juror: Susan May Tell, ASMP Fine Arts Chair
2004: Soho Photo Gallery: First place, Juried Members' Competition, "NY Moment": Juror: David Winter, Winter Works on Paper
Writer-Critic: NYPhotoReview.com: 2010 –2016; over 120 gallery exhibitions reviewed.
Photography Critic: The Villager and Chelsea Now newsapers: March 2014 –December 2018
CubaSeen: Editors publish “On The Malecon” as spread in July 2021 premiere issue of new print/online quarterly publication.Published new site : www.Outofhenormphoto.com
Wolfe, (Fordham University Press, Nov. 2012)
The Smokers; self-published in May 2019, with 45 images of cigarette and cigar smokers,
is not about the well-known perils of smoking, but about the role it plays in a smoker’s life.
Other publications: The Villager; F Stop magazine; Lenscratch.com; Featureshoot.com
October 2018: "Habana Si" selected for publication in AP ProPhoto Daily
after ASMP Portfolio Review. https://tinyurl.com/ybo3frlm
February 2015: Portfolio selected for publication in L'Oeil de la Photographie after ASMP portfolio
Second website launched in 2020, www.Outofthenormphoto.com
American Society of Media Photographers (ASMP); Soho Photo Gallery; International Center of Photography; Griffin Museum of Photography; American Photography Archives Group (APAG)
B.A., University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC
Master classes at the Maine Media Workshops; Santa Fe Photo Workshops; International Center of Photography; New School, NYC